Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Thankful

I just returned from accompanying my dad to Seattle, Washington for 12 days so he could have open heart surgery. Thankfully the surgery went well and my dad is recovering nicely. 


My dad is a Vietnam Veteran. He didn't retire from the Army, but he served about 19 months in Vietnam earning him VA privileges. Many would laugh at the use of privileges, especially when it comes to government run health care, but when you don't have health insurance, as many in this country don't, believe me, it is a privilege. During his time at the Puget Sound VAMC, I encountered many vets, most were in pretty rough shape. Seeing these people and their families made me appreciate our country, the men and women who serve to protect it, and their families, that much more.
  
As a military wife I am very familiar with the sacrifices that not only our soldiers make, but that we, the families, make. I realize it's not Veterans' Day, but we shouldn't just reserve one day out of the year to show our gratitude. Remember to thank a Vet today and if you're looking for a little more than words to show your thanks, there are always volunteer opportunities at VA clinics.




To my fellow military wives, thank you for your sacrifices. As a small token of my appreciation, I wanted to design something to cut on my Silhouette Cameo that would represent many wives. I made this for a fellow military wife whose husband, a Blackhawk pilot, is on his 4th or 5th deployment. Thanks Paige, you're an amazing wife, mother, and person! 


I know it's often difficult to see, especially during campaigns where the political divide is so obviously evident, but now more than ever, I am certain that I live in the greatest country and couldn't be more thankful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...