Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Teacher Gifts

Every year during the holidays I struggle with what I should gift my daughters' teachers.  They are in half day Spanish Immersion so they have an English teacher, a Spanish teacher, and some years they have aides. It can get quite expensive on a stay-at-home mom budget so I try to make their gifts. Last year I had to come up with eight gifts. This year I was lucky to have just four teachers to gift.


My girls and I decided, at the last minute, to make subway art for their teacher gifts this Christmas.  I wanted something with encouraging words, so I looked to blog land for inspiration.


I borrowed some words from eighteen25's printable here,


and This and That Creative's teacher subway art here.
Aren't they both great?


I went to work designing in Silhouette Studio then I went to Lowe's, bought a 24"x 4' sheet of wood for just over $7 and had a friend's husband make three cuts (my husband and his tools were inaccesible). I forgot that one board was slightly wider than the others and I should've cut the vinyl accordingly, but I didn't so you see little more white space on the white board. My girls helped sand and paint them while I cut the vinyl on my awesome new Silhouette Cameo

I learned, the hard way, that the vinyl I purchased from Silhouette was not sticky enough. It would not stick to anything, so I dug out some Oracal vinyl I had on hand and it did the job perfectly. I've contacted Silhouette America to notify them of my vinyl issues, after reading that others were having the same problems, and they promptly replied stating that they would send replacement vinyl. I'm not sure I really want anymore of their vinyl after unsuccessfully using up a whole roll of 12"x10' vinyl, but I suppose I'm willing to give their vinyl another chance, perhaps I had a bad batch. 


All in all, I was very happy with the four very inexpensive classroom subway art pieces which were a hit with the teachers. 

For a limited time, download the Classroom Subway art file here. Please give credit where credit is due when using designs or ideas from other users. This is for personal use, and may not be used for resale. 
*UPDATE - This link is no longer available*

I shared this post with:








23 comments:

  1. These are so cool! What teacher wouldn't love a gift like this!! I'm a new follower, loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift! I love subway art and the words/sayings you added are perfect! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Chrissy and Tonia, they were definitely a hit with the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome gift! As a teacher, I would love any of these prints!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for linking! you're being featured tomorrow, whoo hoo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an overdue, but not forgotten thank you for featuring me! I'm still figuring out this blogging thing so I seem to be a step or two behind.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful...wish I would have found it when the download was available. Trying to do gifts for my children's teachers. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you have a Silhouette Cameo? I'll be happy to share the file as long as it is for personal use.

      Delete
    2. Yes I have a Cameo! I love it, I love doing and learning new things. I would love to have a copy of the file and would only use it for personal use. Thank you so much. eabebowle@yahoo.com

      Delete
  8. Oh I missed it too :( do you sell them on etsy? my hubbie surprised me today with one as an anniv gift and I was looking up how to use it and found your teacher gift. I love it. I can't wait to get mine all figured out but it sure does look intimidating. More so than my embroidery machine was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mik your gift ideas are all very interested ideas about teacher i love your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I love what you did for your kids teachers!! I have a cameo would you mind to share the file with me? it would be por personal use. My email is: our3littlemonkeys@gmail.com thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this!!! I am just learning how to use my Cameo and want to make something like this for my son's teacher. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any chance you'll make your printable available again for Teacher Appreciation Week next week? I really love your layout! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, have you checked out this post? http://worldofcrazyfun.blogspot.com/2012/11/another-chance-for-classroom-subway-art.html

      Delete
  13. if there is any way u'd share this file for the silhouette, i'd really appreciate it!!! if so, my email is kristystanford@hotmail.com. I will just be using it for personal use to gift to my kids teachers. great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    I just became a fan!
    My email is jdkrogman@gmail.com
    Thanks,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every year during the holidays I struggle with what I should gift my daughters' teachers. 70th birthday gifts

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw this on Pinterest. Would you please share with me. It would be for personal use so I could make it for a dear friend. jennyhornish@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...