Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bringing Some Culture Into My World Of Crazy Fun

I'm having so much fun incorporating Yup'ik into my crafts. Here are two shirts I did using my Silhouette and fabric paint.


When I was little and living in the village, "Aipaqluk," was a saying used frequently by most kids. The literal translation is "let's be partners/friends," but it was commonly used to say, "let's hang out." One might hear, around kids exposed to more English, "Let's Aipaq." I wanted my shirt to be all in Yup'ik so I chose the saying I remembered using as a child.


For this shirt, I wanted something that represented my culture, and dance is a huge part of it. I haven't designed a female fan (caribou with woven sea grass handles) yet so I used a male dance fan for my design. Yupiaq means real person in Yup'ik. 

Until the next time. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...