Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What We Do When We Can't Drive To School

We've had some freezing rain conditions here and needless to say, most of our beautiful white snow has now melted and it's an ice rink out there. Living on the mountain has its challenges, especially when the roads are so icy the kids are literally ice skating on them, so after reading about all the accidents yesteday morning, I called the school and told them my kids would not be attending.


Here are photos from two years ago when the roads iced over.
The roads look exactly the same today.


I was told that one class only had two kids show up. The girls were a bit disappointed as yesterday was supposed to be Kid Town Market. Kid Town Market is something our school has quarterly. Each student has the potential to earn KT money thoughout the year as a sort of merit sytem for good deeds and academic work. Once a quarter they set up a vendor market where kids bring items they've made to sell. In order to sell though, they have to apply for a business license, pay for the license, pay a table rental, and pay for a clean up fee. Once the market is closed, they have to calculate their earnings and pay taxes. The teachers act act as the bank and the kids have the choice to deposit their money. It's really a great mini-economics lesson.


Because there wasn't any school and Kid Town was cancelled, I decided to take a picture of the KT goods that the girls and I made. There are hair bands/clips, bean bag/hand warmers, dog stockings, and coasters.


While I should've been cleaning my house, finishing up laundry and packing to leave for our Thanksgiving trip today, the kids and I did a few fun things instead. 
Taylor made some fabric covered buttons.


Paige made pumpkin pie scented play dough.


We got the recipe from Blisstree here. I added a little more cinnamon than what it called for plus I added about 1/4 teaspoon of Allspice and a few drops of food coloring and now we have some yummy smelling play dough.


I took photos of Riley after she begged me for a day.



My baby is full of color and personality.


This is more of a traditional pose than I like, but I thought it was precious anyway.


This was her own pose. She was going for a dance pose, but as a friend said,
ended up looking like she was practicing her boy kissing pose.

School was cancelled today, but unstead of fun things, I'm off to finish packing for our Thanksgiving trip back home. I'm wondering how we're going to get down the mountain. An otherwise 40 minute ride to the airport is probably going to take us two hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...